Shelter hostels are Christian hostels... so what?
What exactly is a 'Christian hostel'?
- First of all, we want the atmosphere in our hostels to be friendly and open. The vast majority of our guests are not Christians and everyone is welcome, whatever they believe.
- For those interested, we provide some activities such as discussions about the Bible. These faith related activities are free to attend!
- Our volunteers will take time to listen to your story and maybe pray for you, if you’d like us to.
- You will get a welcome flyer at the reception with more information about the hostel and the Christian faith. If you want to know more then we'd love to share our experiences of God with you.
- The Shelter is a non-profit charitable association and not linked to any specific church denomination. Most major Protestant denominations are represented by those working in the Shelter, including Baptists, Anglicans, Evangelicals and Reformed. What is common to all the volunteers and staff is a love for Jesus and belief in the Bible as the word of God.
- The Shelter is part of a larger Christian organisation that has been working in Amsterdam since 1855 (see this link, only in Dutch).
- In addition to a permanent management team, the Shelters are operated by an international team of volunteers. These volunteers are motivated by a desire to demonstrate their faith in Christ in practical ways. (more info on our ministry website)
Staying with us is indeed different. Anyway, travelling is about experiencing new things, right? Maybe your stay at the Shelter will be a unique experience for you. We hope you will enjoy your time with us and will do our best to make it a pleasant stay!